Investment outflows exceed inflows in September

Print

 

 

By Rose de la Cruz


Foreign portfolio investments of Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas-registered transactions for September 2019 showed net outflow of $232 million from a total outflow of $1.5 billion against the net inflows for the month of $1.3 billion.  But BSP said this net outflow is an improvement from the net outflows noted in
August 2019 of $392 million.


The $1.3- billion registered investments reflected a 7.2 percent increase from the $1.2 billion figure in August. About 80.2 percent of investments registered during the month were in PSE-listed securities (pertaining mainly to property companies, holding firms, banks, food, beverage and tobacco companies, and transportation firms) while the remaining 19.8 percent went to investments in Peso GS.

 

The United Kingdom, the United States (US), Singapore, Malaysia and Luxembourg were the top five (5) investor countries for the month, with combined share to total at 72.3 percent.

Outflow for the month ($1.5 billion) were slightly lower compared to the level recorded for August 2019 ($1.6 billion or by 4.5 percent). The US received 75 percent of total outflows.

Domestic and international developments for the month included: (i) ongoing trade tensions between the US and China; (ii) attacks on Saudi Aramco's oil facilities in Saudi Arabia which triggered the largest jump in oil prices in decades; (iii) the US Federal Reserve's decision to cut interest rates; (iv) the BSP's decision to cut interest rates and the reserve requirements ratio of banks; and (v) the impeachment inquiry against US President Donald Trump.

 



Year-on-year, registered investments were 75.1 percent higher than the US$743 million level recorded in September 2018. Similarly, gross outflows were higher than the outflows noted a year ago (US$1.2 billion or by 29.5 percent). In
contrast, net outflows for the month was lower from the net outflows (US$440 million) noted for the same period a year ago.

Registration of inward foreign investments with the BSP is optional under the liberalized rules on foreign exchange transactions. The issuance of a BSP registration document entitles the investor or his representative to buy foreign exchange from authorized agent banks and/or their subsidiary/affiliate foreign exchange corporations for repatriation of capital and remittance of earnings that accrue on the registered investment. Without such registration, the foreign
investor can still repatriate capital and remit earnings on his investment but the foreign exchange will have to be sourced outside the banking system.